Friday, March 09, 2012

RAMSEY - Proposed Ward Boundary Adjustment Equalizing Population Between Wards 1 and 2.

Redrawing the Ward lines for the November general election will be Item 1 on the March 13, 2012 regular [televised] city council meeting agenda. The proposed map, below makes sense to me, as a convenient thing. Presuming its adoption all four wards would touch at the intersection of Sunfish Lake Blvd. and Alpine.

It puts me into Ward 2 where I can vote against Colin McGlone, but out of Ward 1, where I cannot again have the chance to vote against Harry Niska (for the ward 1 seat). I expect Niska will be running for different things at different times, so it is wait and see. I dislike the Ward system. It is pretentious for something Ramsey's size, and back when there was a mayor and four at large council members things made more sense as to scale and having the opportunity to vote against any candidate for any council seat, for any reason or for no good reason at all. Better days, the old days.

Here is the map that is self explanatory (as always click it to enlarge and read):


UPDATE: I recall asking Bill Goodrich, and I believe his answer was the Charter allows incumbents to serve out a term on council to its regular ending, regardless of whether lines are redrawn in the interim. The Ward 2 seat is up for election this year, McGlone holding the seat; while the Ward 1 seat is up 2014, Elvig holding the seat. At large and unchanged Wards 3 and 4 would follow normal term cycling as unimpacted by any boundary adjustment.

Please check with Bill on that to be certain, or ask at the meeting, as my recollection might be in error.