Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Anoka County - The Ward 1 seat which is the one I can vote on. Two Republicans are running, I endorse neither.

 Incumbent Matt Look is opposed by challenger John LeTourneau.

Voters should know both. Each has been active in local politics over the last few years.

Besides being mayor and former councilmember of Ramsey's council, LeTourneau has sought the Republican Party's nomination for a State legislative seat.

In the past, in general, I have endorsed the more progressive candidate when I could see a major difference, endorsements cutting against Look on that score.

I seldom support Republicans for any public office, although when LeTourneau ran for the legislative seat he was the better candidate on the Republican side, in my view. My ultimate support was with the Democrat running. I believe I would do the same, again, if presented with the same circumstances.

Years ago I supported Look, against Todd Cook, for Look's first successful run to be on Ramsey's council. I believe I would do that again.

This cycle, District 1 has two chasing the paycheck, I endorse neither, the chips may fall where they may. 

I believe due diligence in appropriating funds is an essential function of office holders, and I believe avoidance of any wrong appearance of undisclosed conflict of interest also requires due diligence, but of a different kind. Kind and not degree is the distinction I draw. That is not to tell anybody much else than that. 

Ultimately, I shall vote for one or the other, secret ballots being a fine idea.

Each a Republican. Each with a public service record over the last several years. Each having a story to tell of achievements and aims.

Each having ample opportunity to stress their positive aspects to voters who care to learn and decide carefully.

May the best candidate win.

_________UPDATE________

Earlier, Terry Hendriksen ran against Look for the Ward 1 seat. Both Republicans. I endorsed and voted for Terry. Now deceased, while he lived he was a person whose integrity I respected greatly. He did honor to Ramsey by serving diligently and wisely on its council. He was my main Republican exception.

_______FURTHER UPDATE_______

Jason Tossey had integrity and while serving a public duty in Ramsey he kept a skeptical mind about spending and like Terry, he never had to be held to a "knew or should have known" standard - the "should have" part - because he was diligent enough in his job to have known. Hendriksen phrased things as "I never buy something unless I know what it is and what it costs." That is a concise way to say due diligence, when spending other peoples' money, where one knows or should have known the deal. It is doing the job. Doing it correctly. He is my second Republican exception. Both Hendriksen and Tossey had a libertarian streak, and did the job. Knowing who is who and what is what before casting a spending vote.

Some things I respect, some things I do not.