Thursday, March 11, 2010

Maureen Reed had a greeting and discussion session last evening at Anoka County Rum River Library.

It was the first time I had seen her speak, and it was a small group with chances for discussion and questions. The main focus of her presentation was healthcare, the substantive realities that something will be passed which will be better than the status quo but flawed, and needing attention again, probably sooner than later. My view, and I think that's what she said, what I heard, but if I misstate things I hope there's no harm to it. The theme though, which I believe, is that there will not be any final resolution but a step out of this congress before elections, and her background fits the task. Again, nothing there to dispute. There is nothing theatatrical to her, as with Bachmann, who seems to have wanted to be an actress but missed the bus to Hollywood, caught the one to DC. None of that. Smart. Direct. Responsive to questions indicating views and understandings of issues beyond healthcare. Not hesitant. Not lecturing. Good bedside manner, if that's the right way to say it. Late for the meeting, mis-navigating between her and the staff aide looking for a site they'd not been to before. But doctors always keep you waiting.

General impression. I have not seen Tarryl Clark but I have great respect for her. I am leaning toward Reed however. At the March 16 Senate District 48 convention I expect that is how I will go unless something unexpected happens. The weakest part of the presentation - the feeling of a need to give the "How I can beat Bachmann" speech. The strongest, moving from that to thoughts and approach that will be taken when going to DC. The what if elected, vs the why elect me.

Really, for most there, the why elect question is answered by the what if, what I would do, think, and set as priorties. All there realized Bachmann needs more time at home in Stillwater and this election will be a chance to get that for her high heels and pearls personality.

Reed undoubtedly would represent the district well, something that's been lacking for quite some time. How her winning might affect redistricting, vs. if Bachmann returns, is an intriguing question.

Between now and March 16 I will be posting more about who I will go there supporting, and why. Not as if it's an endorsement - for the three readers I probably have with two disagreeing, but simply to express a view of what critiria I have, and ultimately, gut feelings of who I would want having the job.

I have come to view a thinking approach of who is winnable, vs who would you really like best to represent you and community interests, leads to wrong choices. Winnable is how the post hoc vote count turns out.

Was Franken more winnable than Jack Nelson Pallmeyer? Who can say. I liked Jack better. Franken got the endorsement and support, and the seat in Congress. Now let's all goad him toward public option, ASAP, and ultimately single payer. He's what we have, and far better than Norm Coleman, although that's faint praise. I expect he will do well. It's the "culture" and norms of both houses of Congress that need change, but Franken is an asset not a liability in the process, and vastly better than the intervening interloper on the Wellstone seat.