Thursday, June 05, 2008

Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer - new campaign site item - Ben Goldfarb endorses.

Goldfarb ran the successful Klobuchar campaign that hammered Mark Kennedy to where he did poorly in the Sixth District, where he had served.

Goldfarb's leading, number one reason for endorsement - the election is ripe to be about the incumbent, his deficiencies, and having the candidate most immune from attack will keep the campaign on message ["immune from attack" means not counting the inevitable, trite and feeble Ron Carey tagging, "tax and spend liberal out of touch with the voters of the state"].

Franken has been shown to be liable to GOP personal attack of a kind that would deflect attention from the interloper on the Wellstone seat, Norman Coleman.

Franken would be good in the Senate, that is clear, and if endorsed there is every hope he would win.

But I have no passion for Franken. I'm sorry, but that is how it is.

Jack, the two or three times I have seen him, connected with my heart, mind, and feelings of trust and comfort. Franken also came across well, and Ciresi had withdrawn by then, so I only knew of him by reputation. In person, Franken was not at all an arrogant or flip person, as his profession might suggest. Sincere, and solid, instead.

However, I more strongly relate to what appears to be Jack's combination of character and will to lead - and to bump haeds when needed with the status quo he will encounter in DC.

More than either of the other two, Franken and Ciresi, I see that in Nelson-Pallmeyer.

***

Getting to the point --- Goldfarb in an endorsement letter posted at the Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer campaign website; jackforsentate.org, explains:

A letter from Ben Goldfarb
Dear DFLer,

As you get ready to head to the DFL State Convention this weekend and cast your ballot for endorsement in the U.S. Senate race, I wanted to take a minute to tell you why I support Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer. More importantly, however, I wanted to address an important question I'm betting is on your mind: can this guy actually win in November?

I learned a lot about running a winning statewide campaign in 2006 when I was fortunate to serve as Amy Klobuchar's campaign manager. With your support, and behind an exceptional candidate, we were able to make a strong case for change and to send someone I'm proud to have worked for to Washington.

Over the last few months you've begun to get to know Jack. Like you, I've been inspired by his hopeful vision for the future and the courage he's shown to stand up strongly on the critical issues facing our country. And like you, I have asked myself whether this remarkable person can actually win this fall and reclaim Paul Wellstone's seat.

Here's why I'm confident he can win:

1. Jack provides an incredibly stark contrast with Norm Coleman. Winning candidates provide a clear, compelling choice to voters. And as a challenger, it's critically important to keep the focus on the incumbent. I believe that on pressing issues, on character and integrity, and on life experience, Jack poses the stark contrast we need and can keep this race a referendum on the incumbent.

2. Minnesotans are thoughtful voters who reward authenticity and conviction. We have a long history of supporting unconventional candidates who looked like long shots only a few months before Election Day, but were able to connect on a human level. I strongly believe that Jack's life story, courage, and authenticity are a lock to make him the next such candidate.

3. Jack will have the resources he needs. This remains one of only a handful of competitive Senate races in the country. Combining Jack's strong Minnesota base of funders, a unified DFL, and a significant national interest will give him the support he needs. He won't have the most money, but he doesn't need to. In 2006, Mark Kennedy outspent Amy Klobuchar by nearly $1 million and lost by 20 points. Moreover, Senators Tester (MT) and Webb (VA), each emerged from June primaries in 2006 without much in the bank and had no problem raising the resources they needed to topple well-finded incumbents.

Will it be easy? Of course not. But can he do it? Absolutely.

I have nothing against Al Franken. I think he'd be a good Senator and a vast improvement over Norm Coleman. If he is the endorsed candidate, I'll be happy to support him and do what I can to make sure he wins this fall.

But as you make your decision on Saturday, I hope you think first about which candidate you believe in most, which candidate speaks to your hopes. And with confidence that he can indeed win this fall, I hope you cast your ballot for Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer for Senate.

Sincerely,

Ben Goldfarb


_______________________
Hat tip to Blue Man, I'd have missed the item without his earlier posting.