Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ramsey Town Center branch of Bank of Elk River will be permanently closed, July 20.


It saddens me because I like to be able to visit the bank to withdraw cash while shopping, and that will be no more. I had not been paying attention, but saw this morning that Saturday hours are suspended now, and the security screening around the teller space had the notice posted about July 20.

If a branch is not producing enough a decision has to be made. It is unfortunate.

Another bank - sorry that is no answer for me, because this is the one I bank at and have been doing so since I moved to Minnesota.

The Main Street branch in downtown Elk River has ordinary banking hours.

Now, the Elk River Walmart outlet is the best option, having seven day open hours.




(I suppose I could try the "Bank of Ramsey" at city hall but they are not retail. Their focus is to dole cash by the millions, yet I do not qualify. I have no dubious more-likely-to-fail-than-not pipe-dream promotion to hang off some existing building in Clown Center, the numero uno "here take our cash" priority of Bank of Ramsey.)

Had there been a more vibrant city focus on promoting retail-commercial-restaurant instead of rental housing, it is possible the branch might have fared better with more activity around it, but Town Center's been what it is.

Rely on Elk River. Rely on Riverdale. Rely on the Walmart branch.


_______________________
Instead of rebranding the doomed-from-the-start failure "The COR" a more fitting name would be "That Place on Highway Ten Between Anoka and Elk River." Insufficient retail catalyst momentum strikes again. Deja vu. Here is wishing the bank and its surviving branches lasting success. They gave Ramsey Town Center a try. Town Center failed them, not vice versa.