Wednesday, October 06, 2010

The Election - Finding your polling place, getting your sample ballot, absentee and other county election info, my preferences.


Those are the lawn signs at the family home.

Now, poll finding and county info. Polling place, and sample ballot are found on the Secretary of State's website, starting this link. It is straightforward from there, giving in successive screens more detailed info until your ward and precinct are identified, where, for example I am in Ward 1, Precinct 1, in Ramsey, hence for me or others in that ward and precinct, there is this SoS screen, where polling place is identified and where an Adobe pdf sample ballot can be downloaded, for study and marking before you get to the polling place - to avoid mistakes:


Obviously, the screen info would differ for readers in other Ramsey Wards, or in other towns. But that's mine, and illustrative in general.

For the Anoka County election info, this link is a good place to start. This link, for info about absentee voting, which I have done because of uncertainty about election day ability to reach the local polling place - for example, I could be out of town, I am unsure and want my vote counted no matter what. Or I might be hit by a bus between now and election day, some might wish that, but now my vote will be counted no matter what ensues.

In Ramsey, the town's website has election info, this link, and other towns should have similar webpage info. With a charter issue on the Ramsey ballot, the link is helpful for voter understanding before going to vote.

So, I have already voted. Everyone is entitled to a secret ballot in this nation. Likewise, anyone has free speech rights to publish how he or she voted, it is a matter of free choice.

My sample ballot has two sides, the general side, and what I call the "judicial" side; with a similar layout for other locales, details differing. Also, from place to place the state office listings are rearranged to lessen any "first named" advantage effect.

My judicial ballot side, how I voted for the better choice (where opinions may differ):


I did not vote where a single candidate ran unopposed. In each other race I studied what I could find online and in some instances I already knew some detail, and my choices are NOT haphazard but studied and in my view, very sound. The one position having 24 candidates, several seem capable, but I picked the best - Bridgid Dowdal. I agonized between Dehen and the incumbent, Roith. The choice was difficult as each gentleman is a very sound pick, and in the household other votes might go for Roith. But after some indecision because each was a quality choice, I picked John Dehen.

In that 24-caididate run, I warn against going with who had more signs placed on lawns and along highways, or who has name recognition from past politics. Here is a webpage about Dowdal, my choice. Next, the ballot, general side:


This set of choices largely speak for themselves. I comment on a few: Elvig, lesser evil, I strongly dislike The Federalist Society, Monica Gooding, Rachel Paulose, the U.S. attorney scandal, and the society's uber-right wing slant where Scalia, Thomas, and Roberts are respected rather than disdained. Niska has that in his background, and is Jungbauer's campaign treasurer while his wife is a senior Emmer staffer. Steffen, better choice of two. Perovich is an easy choice over Jungbauer, whose incumbancy has aspects I disapprove of in a very strong way. Johnson over Palumbo is a close call, both are good. Stuart is clearly best choice for sheriff.

Electing Dayton is very, very, important, given the other choices (Emmer, a buffoon, and Horner a traditional Republican forced by caucus-packing buffoons to run IP so that traditional Republicans, now called RINOs by the buffoons, have a choice). Also, with redistricting on the upcoming agenda, having Dayton heading the executive branch will be a major plus. Clark is such a strong and appealing candidate that the choice is easy, and electing Clark would bring nationwide praise rather than disdain and mockery to District 6, as with the incumbent. Ritchie is important because we can remember how bad things were with Kiffmeyer.

On the Ramsey ballot issue, two words explain my favoring a city administrator as less powerful than a city manager - James Norman. History has lessons. That ballot wording is so horsed up awful, that it is worth saying, simply, yes means city administrator, no means city manager, and the powers of the top staff person are less with the city administrator form.

Soil commissioner, I picked one of two left, based on principle - don't vote for a Tingelstad. Anderson and de la Forest might both be good. That is my only uncertain choice. Obviously I could say more about preferences and choices, but that's enough for this post.

Here is another photo, this one looking east, of the household's yard signs (with the Becky Otto sign at the east end of things offscreen).


Consider each person I chose as "an endorsement." For what that's worth. Comments will be moderated.