Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Scareware. An interesting Reuters story.

I believe it is Reuters. It says it is. Gee, I hope it is not some rogue capture site ...

This link.

These false antispyware scare popups, and "registry scanner" programs can do harm. If you do not know what your registry is, leave it alone, don't click some website scanner advertisement.

There are legitimate programs and if you buy a shrinkwrap item from Best Buy, it likely would never get on the shelf without clearance. If you have problems, hire a professional.

I get advice from ECI, in Anoka County. In Coon Rapids, on University Ave. Enterprise Communications, Inc.

www.eci4networks.com

But it is owned and run by a friend, who I have helped in other ways, so he helps me as need arises.

If you don't have your own friendships, ECI might be of help, but they are a small business service firm, servicing that range of commercial clients, and home repair is a niche they don't necessarily aim at.