Thursday, December 25, 2008

My first job here had to do with poison ivy. Then a better-paying position opened up at the Marijuana Project, and I moved to that.

Stringing holiday lights?


NY Times interviews the government's main man in Mississippi, Mahmoud A. Elsohly, who grows marijuana for research purposes. This excerpt:

At this laboratory, which began in 1968, we often investigate marijuana’s chemistry. We also have a farm where we grow cannabis for federally approved researchers. Our material is employed in clinical studies around the country, to see if the active ingredient in this plant is useful for pain, nausea, glaucoma, for AIDS patients and so on. For these tests, researchers need standardized material for cigarettes or THC pills. We grow the cannabis as contractors for the National Institute on Drug Abuse — NIDA. And the only researchers who can get our material are those with special permits.

Most of the illicit material in the 1960s came from Mexico. So, in collaboration with the D.E.A. and the Mexican government, we acquired those seeds. Later, we acquired others from Colombia, Thailand, Jamaica, India, Pakistan and places in the Middle East. That permitted us to study chemical and botanical differences. By 1976, we were growing about 96 different varieties.

When researchers are performing clinical tests, they must have standardized material that will be the same every time. And it must be safe. You certainly wouldn’t want to give a sick person something sprayed with pesticide or angel dust, substances we’ve detected in some illicit marijuana.

In 1975, while I was in my last year of graduate school in natural products chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh, the Lord provided me with twin daughters. My graduate student stipend was already over, and my adviser said, “You need to quickly find a job.”

So he recommended me for a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Mississippi’s Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences. My first job here had to do with poison ivy. Then a better-paying position opened up at the Marijuana Project, and I moved to that. I liked the research, and I got on well with my supervisor and mentor, Dr. Carlton Turner, who later became the director of drug abuse policy in the Reagan White House. So, this work, it just happened.

My daughters, when they were in grade school, the teachers would ask them, “What does your father do?” And they’d say, “He grows marijuana.” And the teachers’ eyes would grow wide. After a while, my daughters said: “He works at the University of Mississippi. He’s a professor.”


I had always imagined back in the days of the Patty Hurst - SLA situation, her reported fiancee, Steven Weed, should end up with a job like this. Not so, or if he's affiliated with Uncle Sam's pot farming the article did not say. Serendipity put him somewhere else, and now, who knows where? Hurst married a cop, that much is known. But Steven Weed, he had his fifteen minutes of derivative fame and for all I know he's at AIG and going to spas, working in Cincinnati as a tax attorney, or in Belize teaching diving.

To fuel further speculation, see here, here and here. That last one was like the others, from Google, and I have no idea if it's the same person. Any definitive info should be left in a comment.