Sunday, November 05, 2006

Shortfall, what tax shortfall? Why?

One of the audience questions at the League of Women Voters forum that caught me a bit unaware was, in substance but perhaps not an exact quote, "What do you suggest should be done about the City's current tax shortfall?"

My opponent responding first, talked of belt-tightening measures; and I agreed and also mentioned that there is charter authority to borrow short term to balance expenditures and revenue [See, Charter Sect. 7.11 & 7.12].

In responding to the question I overlooked the obvious counterquestion - the cause of my unawareness, "Shortfall, what shortfall, why a shortfall, how did a shortfall come about?"

So, I ask it now. What caused a shortfall in revenue?

Is some payment due the city in arrears; going uncollected while due; or was there the "rose colored glasses" syndrome at play, the City's forecasting being too optimistic in anticipating revenue from "new rooftops" or otherwise?

I do not know the answer.

I invite anyone with information or an explanation to post a comment.

Again, if elected the first thing I would do is go over the books.